Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Summer's Over

That's right, now that Memorial Day has come and gone, we can now proclaim that either summer is ending or it's over. It's not officially over until the Fourth of July, so I guess I can just say that it is ending.

I'm too distracted and lazy to go into any in-depth discussion about anything in particular, so this is going to be more of the ilk of lazy post. I haven't been up to much lately.

-- Recently, I did see the Actor's Workshop Theater's production of Equus, which may be better known to some as the play that kid from Harry Potter is in. Without giving too much away or overexaggerating, it may have been the most powerful artistic production I have ever seen, except perhaps for the first time I saw "Phantom of the Opera" as a kid. That was more because it was the first time I'd seen any kind of production, so just the newsness of the experience made it cool. But holy fucking shit, Equus was intense. I actually forgot everything around me and felt as if I was watching something that was really happening to the actors. This was magnified by the fact that what you see as the audience is something that is intensely private and intimate. The tiny size of the performance space and the way the actors were able to pull off the script contributed to the intensity of the production. The acting, the writing, the production qualities were all probably the best I have ever seen and will ever see. I actually think I'm going to go see it again.

-- Is anyone willing to explain to me why, at least in the context of a social conversation at a party or wherever, men don't give a shit what women do for a living? I just find it fascinating that I can have a long conversation with someone at a party or social event, and the topic of what I do for a living never comes up, esp. when I ask them what they do. Believe me, there are few things I want to talk about less than what I do, but I just can't believe that it doesn't even pique their interest. I know, I know, men care about looks, women care about what men do, but jesus man, at least pretend like you care!

-- I AM SO FRUSTRATED BY WORK.

-- I bought a bottle of pomegranate liquor and I'm excited to try it. Yeah, I know it's kind of a bitch drink that's dangerously close to something someone trying to be Carrie Bradshaw would drink. CARE. I think it's going to be part of the theme drinks for my upcoming barby-cue. I'll keep ya'll posted.

-- I saw the Sox play at The Clock's kickass seats with S. and Patrick Bateman, and I realized that there is something inherently elegant and kind of sexy about the way baseball players move, more so I think than any other sport. The players' movements are masculine and athletic, but somehow lazy at the same time. I mean when even A.J. looks hot taking a swing, there must be something about the game. On another note, I don't know if it's because I'm accustomed to games at Wrigley Field and take for granted how cool that stadium is, but I hated the constant barrage of video and music and advertisements at Sox Park or whatever the fuck it's called now. Are we that pathetic that we can't focus on a game? I go to baseball games to relax and watch baseball, not to be distracted. The video screen in the middle of center field was making me sick. And they would play music and videos in between swings, I mean what the fuck?!

-- On another note, I have to give mad props to S. She just received formal confirmation on closing a difficult chapter in her life, and did so mostly, probably 99% on her own, with her own strength, will, bravery, and resolve. It takes an incredible amount of strength to say "fuck you" to the judgments of others and to do what is best for yourself and the people you love, and she did something that probably most people don't have the strength to do, even if it meant making daily sacrifices. On behalf of those of us lucky enough to have her in our lives, I have to say, well done, sister.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites